Accessories Table Station
Accessories Table volunteers are used throughout the event to keep tables fully stocked, neatly arranged, and organized by type.
Break-down volunteers close down the event ensuring the space is returned to its original clean appearance.
- Clean and return tables, supplies, and canopies to storage.
- Collect and put away traffic cones.
- Disassemble signs.
- Fill recycle and compost bins.
Drop-off volunteers help process event day donations and ensure that these donors are properly recognized.
Exit and Pick Up
Exit volunteers ensure guests leave with good memories of the event and feel encouraged to participate again.
Floaters go where needed and have a birds eye view of the flow of the day. They pitch in where needed and are continually on the move. Floaters watch out for:
Participants leave can their selections and continue to enjoy the day. When they are ready to leave they retrieve their plants by their ticket.
- About the exchange and answer questions.
- That there is a hold area for their selections while they shop.
- That there are master gardeners to answer their questions and provide resources
- There is a bathroom available and point it out on the map.
- About signing up to be on a team and the mailing list.
Plant Table Station
Plant Table volunteers are used throughout the event to keep plant tables fully stocked, neatly arranged, and organized by type.
- Receive plants from the “runners.” Always keep tables stocked.
- Keep the plants rotating and move those in the back forward.
- Present plants by unwrapping those in bags and setting them upright into empty pots.
Guest Interviewers will talk with with participants to help us discover the demographic makeup of our participants, what motivates them, what additional services we can provide and ways we can improve.
Plants are correctly identified and labeled by Plant ID volunteers before distribution to plant tables. Volunteers are also needed at this station to take dictation from master gardeners for plant labels.
- Identify plant donations and make labels.
- Consult with master gardeners when needed.
- Determine which the sections plants should go into: easy grow, more challenging, succulents, indoor, etc.
- Send runners to tables with labeled plants.
Runners keep the exchange tables stocked by moving donations from the drop-off area to Plant ID and then out to the exchange floor.
There are now two set-up times: the day before 4-7pm, and the morning of for what’s left. During this time volunteers:
- Set up tables, including signs.
- Put out accessories and plants.
- Assemble canopies, temporary fencing, and the lounge area.
The silent auctions is another fundraising opportunity for the Plant Exchange and a fun way for guests to purchase high quality items at a fraction of the cost. In order to participate, guests must register and be present to pick up their item. Volunteers:
Traffic control is one of the most important functions at the event. It is imperative that street traffic is not disrupted by our event.
Welcome volunteers help keep the incoming flow of guests moving smoothly by orienting people to the event layout and answering questions.